Sunday, July 1, 2012

Refashioned Floral Tank

First tutorial! Get excited! I want to apologize first for the quality of my pictures and having them not be very detailed. Practice makes perfect right? Hopefully yall can understand and follow half of what I'm explaining.
I got this tank at Goodwill for $2? Loved the print and fabric.

1. Pin in both sides as much as you want. Try on and make sure it fits and you can put on and take off easily. You can sew along that line now or wait. I chose to wait until the very end before I sewed anything.
2. Fold the shirt in half and cut the bottom however you want. I wanted a round bottom. To get a good idea of how long you want it lay one of your shirts on top.
3. Line up the shoulder and neck seams of both side. Now you're going to cut the neckline. In the picture I have it aligned to cut the front. For the back line up the seams again and fold the back down the middle. My back was lower than my front for this design.
4. From the scraps of the bottom of your shirt, cut 2 strips that are about 1 1/2 inches thick.  These are for the back of the tank. You're going to fold the strip in half length wise, right side together, and sew the edge shut. You basically end up with a tube. Flip it so that the right side is facing out (this is going to take some patience).  Decided where you want to position your strips and tack it down with some pins. 
5. Time to sew!

  • Fold the bottom of your tank in 1/4 inch then another 1/2 inch. Pin and as close as possible to the top of the hem.
  • Sew down the sides where you pinned. Cut off excess leaving ~1 inch before hitting the newly sewed seam. Fold each of those excess flaps down in half towards each other and sew as close as possible to the fold line. This is to prevent frayed edges
  • Fold neckline 1/4 inch then another 1/2 inch. The ends of the strips will be tucked into the hem after folding. Sew down.
6. Iron all hems and seams and you're done!

I want to emphasize the importance of pinning and trying on over and over until you get that perfect fit. Sure it looks big but all fabrics are different- some stretch, some don't! I think I've butchered 3 shirts because of my laziness to pin and try on. 

Feel free to ask question and I'll do my best to explain and answer.

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment